What are xTuple Extensions?
xTuple Extensions are a collective reference to custom scripts, screens, reports and other objects that may be added to the xTuple PostBooks core to enhance functionality without changing the core code or database schemas in any way.
xTuple ERP Embedded Design Tools
Several extension components can be created and modified directly from the xTuple ERP application. You'll find these tools navigating the menu to System > Design:
- Reports - xTuple ERP includes an embedded report writer application. With this tool you can change visual presentation and the source query of standard reports or write your own from scratch. Learn more...
- Screens - xTuple ERP also includes an embedded version of Qt Designer. From here you can import, export and create new screens from scratch using a graphical design tool. While you can not currently change core application screens with this tool, it is a great place to design your own custom displays, lists and maintenance screens.
- Packages - Packages are a way to bundle a group of extensions together into a single file that can be loaded and maintained all at once. While, you can not edit package contents in the application, you can see the complete contents of packages that have been loaded and what their relationships are to other packages in the system. Learn more...
xTuple External Tools
- OpenRPT - This report writer utility embeded in xTuple ERP may be downloaded and run separately as well. It also includes several other useful utilities including a renderer to print free standing reports and a utility to import report definition files in mass directly into a database. Learn more...
- Updater - xTuple uses a separate Updater utility to update xTuple ERP from one version to another, and to load and update extension packages. Packages are compressed files that contain all the scripts involved in an update or extension bundle. A configuration file package.xml defines what the contents are and how they are to be loaded into the database. This file can direct the Updater to take the following actions:
- Define the package version and schema
- Load a SQL file designated as a new table, function, trigger or view
- Create custom privileges
- Create custom commands
- Load application logic files including screens, scripts, reports, images and MetaSQL
- Learn more...
Postgres Database Design Tools
xTuple relies exclusively on PostgresSQL as its database platform. All business logic created by extensions is maintained in the database either as records or database objects. Database design work such as the creation of new tables, functions, triggers and views can be accomplished using a variety of tools. Psql is the defacto PostgreSQL command line tool while pgAdmin is the officially endorsed graphical interface. All the objects necessary to extend xTuple can be created and edited from either of these tools. However, there literally dozens of alternitive administration tools available as well.
xTuple does NOT recommend or endorse altering the core public or api schemas for local customizations. All custom extensions should be created in their own schemas. This ensures that extensions will not interfere with or be overwritten by upgrades to the xTuple core. If you are interested in modifying the core please see the core development overview page.
The good news is if you intend on creating extension packages the Updater utility will automatically create a separate schema with the same name as your package, and several control tables to store all of your database application objects for you. You can learn more about how this works in the packages topic.
Click on the following links to learn more about interfacing with xTuple and building extensions:
Mon, 12/07/2009 - 07:56#1
Is it possible to have access to the E/R model of xtuples database?
Fri, 01/22/2010 - 15:56#2
We use Eclipse with Clay plug-in to generate an E/R model from a live connection to the database. This generates the model directly from the system.
Note that not all relationships between tables are defined as foreign keys ... this can lead to some fun and amusing results if you aren't careful!
Thu, 02/03/2011 - 23:06#3
@Paladin Logic, That is one
That is one of the reason why XTuple should publish a complete E/R Model.
What do you say about this.
Thu, 03/03/2011 - 05:40#4
A project the size of xTuple would defintely benefit from an official E/R document. In my development practice I have acquained the habit of applying semi-automated methods / docs generators to have a least a tiny bit of it.
Tue, 01/08/2013 - 03:54#5
Link for Video Tutorial
Hi, do you have any link for "Demo video on application scripting and building a screen" because the link is this page have problems when opening. Please help.
Sun, 01/13/2013 - 19:40#6
Videos are now here:
Videos are now here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/postbooks/files/05%20PostBooks-videos/Cu...
Sun, 01/13/2013 - 22:13#7
Wed, 01/23/2013 - 13:01#8
Demo Videos have moved
All videos fomerly hosted at Sourceforge in .SWF format have been reformatted and you may find them here: http://www.xtuple.com/demo/videos
Wed, 07/24/2013 - 15:15#10
Fixed. Thanks for letting us know.
Fri, 07/31/2015 - 04:19#11
xTuple ERP Programmer Reference - Access Denied
Dear xTuple Team,
I'm unable to access the following link mentioned above:
- https://www.xtuple.org/sites/all/themes/xTuple.org_theme/images/orange-b...) 0% 0.333em no-repeat transparent;">xTuple ERP Programmer Reference (https://www.xtuple.org/ProgrammerReference)
It says "
https://www.xtuple.org/sites/all/themes/xTuple.org_theme/images/borders.png) 100% 0px repeat-y scroll rgb(66, 141, 215);">
https://www.xtuple.org/sites/all/themes/xTuple.org_theme/images/borders.png) 0px 0px repeat-y scroll transparent;">
You are not authorized to access this page."
Can anyone let me know how to access this reference?
Waiting for your kind response.
Thanks & Best Regards,
Adeel Khan Niazi
Fri, 07/31/2015 - 08:06#12
Re: access denied
Thanks for finding this broken link. I've updated it to the new location and fixed a few others as well.
Mon, 08/03/2015 - 01:58#13
Issue has been resolved.
Issue has been resolved. Thanks a lot for your prompt response.
Thanks & Best Regards,
Adeel Khan Niazi